Josefina Alvarez, Ph.D. Chicago Campus
Josefina Alvarez, Ph.D.
Core Faculty, Psy.D. Program
As a teacher, I actively involve students in learning by developing collaborative relationships with them. Respectful, open exchange is vital to any successful learning environment.
My greatest interests are cultural competence within mental health practices, Latino/Latina mental health, substance abuse treatment, and mutual help programs. Those specialties are supported here at Adler University with its emphasis on socially responsible practice. I also enjoy the opportunity to work with communities in collaboration with practitioners from other disciplines at the University.
Please email or call me (312.662.4341) if you have questions or would like more information about me.
- Ph.D. and M.A., Clinical Community Psychology, DePaul University
- B.A., Psychology, Loyola University Chicago
- American Psychological Association (Div. 27, 45, and 50)
- Alvarez, J., Jason, L. A., Davis, M. I., Olson. B. D., & Ferrari, J. R. (2009). Latinos and Latinas in communal settings: A grounded theory of recovery. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 6, 1317–1334.
- Jason, L. A., Groh, D. R., Durocher, M., Alvarez, J., Aase, D. M., & Ferrari, J. R. (2008). Counteracting ‘not in my backyard’: The positive effects of greater occupancy within mutual-help recovery homes. Journal of Community Psychology, 36, 947–958.
- Aase, D. M., Jason, L. A., Ferrari, J. R., Groh, D. R., Alvarez, J., Olson, B. D., & Davis, M. I. (2006–2007). Anxiety symptoms and alcohol use: A longitudinal analysis of length of stay in recovery homes for substance abuse. International Journal of Self Help and Self Care, 4, 19–33.
- Alvarez, J., Jason, L. A., Olson, B. D., Ferrari, J. R., & Davis, M. I. (2007). A review of substance abuse prevalence and treatment among Latinos and Latinas. Journal of Ethnicity in Substance Abuse, 6, 115–141.
- Jason, L. A., Olson, B. D., Ferrari, J. R., Majer, J. M., Alvarez, J., & Stout, J. (2007). An examination of main and interactive effects of substance abuse recovery housing on multiple indicators of adjustment. Addiction, 102, 1114–1121.
- Does Religious Attendance Predict Recovery for African Americans? Conference of the International Society for Biomedical Research on Alcoholism, September 2010
- Developing Culturally-Modified Interventions: Examining the Impact of Socio-Cultural Factors Among Latino and African American Participants, Affiliated Meeting of the Society for Community Research and Action, Midwestern Psychological Association, April 2010
- Examining Ethnic Differences and Ethnic Identity in Substance Abuse Treatment Outcomes, Affiliated Meeting of the Society for Community Research and Action, Midwestern Psychological Association, April 2010
- Integrating Community Psychology Principles with Clinical Work, Affiliated Meeting of the Society for Community Research and Action, Midwestern Psychological Association, May 2008
- Gender Differences in Micro-Systemic Structures and Implications for Recovery, Affiliated Meeting of the Society for Community Research and Action, Midwestern Psychological Association, May 2008
- Award for Individual Contribution to Ethnic and Racial Diversity, National Council of Schools and Programs of Professional Psychology, 1997